Are you planning on traveling for the holidays like an estimated 94 MILLION other Americans are? There are a few things you should do around your Houston house before you leave.
Nothing is worse than coming home to chores, when all you want to do is kick your feet up and finally relax. Some of these tips may seem like a no-brainer to some, but those are often the easiest things to forget. We compiled a list of things you should do before heading out this Holiday!
- Put fresh sheets on your bed – Nothing is better than laying down in some nice crisp clean sheets and bedding after a long (maybe stressful) trip. You don’t want to come home to a messy bed with wrinkled and smelly sheets!
- Take care of your plants – You made an investment into buying and keeping your plants alive. Check the forecast and make sure your plants will be safe where they are, and make sure you give them a good watering before you leave.
- Throw away fresh flowers – By the time you return, your love token or decoration will look sad and dreary after receiving no love for several days. The stale smell will quickly fill up your home.
- Turn off thermostats – No one will be at the home, so there’s no need to keep it cozy. You will save some money by keeping your AC off. Many Smart Thermostats are available where you can turn it on via smartphone on your way back!
- Ask a Trusted Neighbor to grab your mail – There is nothing more telling to a potential thief that you are not at home than a full mailbox. And home burglaries tend to increase during the holiday season. You can also ask the post office to hold your mail.
- Clean out your Fridge – You don’t want to come home to moldy or rotten foods, if it’s close to expiring or will expire before you return, just toss it!
- Take out the Trash – This is a good way to Prevent Bugs and keep your house from smelling bad when you get home. Check ALL receptacles!
- Wipe down surfaces – This will also keep bugs from making your home their home while you’re away.
- Don’t announce your leaving! – While you may trust your group of friends on your social media networks, never make an announcement that you will be leaving town for an extended period of time. Simply call you friends and family that you want to see privately.
- Lock Your Garage – Many professional thieves can make their way into your home through your garage (Some in less than 6 Seconds). You can prevent this by manually locking your garage AND the door leading into your home.
Do you have any tips to share with travelers before they depart this holiday season? Share them below.